Saving Sea Turtles In Costa Rica Eco-Retreat 2024
Join cinder + salt on a 9-day mission to save the sea turtles in the beautiful Tortuguero National Park, an important nesting site for endangered green and leatherback sea turtles. Explore Tortuguero by day, searching for fascinating wildlife and learning about the flora of the rainforest. At night, we assist Sea Turtle Conservancy researchers with sea turtle patrols involving monitoring nesting grounds and measuring and collecting data to contribute to the overall protection of these gentle, ancient creatures.
When : Sept 7 - Sept 15, 2024
Where : Tortuguero, Costa Rica
- Work alongside Sea Turtle Conservancy research biologists for nightly turtle patrols & morning nest surveys on the beach.
- Experience a hatchling release of endangered Leatherback Turtle hatchlings pending hatching time.
- Navigate Tortuguero’s many natural canals in search of wildlife including spectacled caimans, southern river otters, dolphins, anteaters, toucans and spider, howler, and white-faced capuchin monkeys.
- Explore Mawamba Lodge’s butterfly gardens & on-site park on a guided visit.
- Visit the town of Tortuguero and learn about the value of the coconut industry in the area.
- Spot sloths, crocodiles, toucans, jaguars and countless bird species during your stay.
Nightly beach patrols
Work as part of a nesting survey team to help tag and record data about the nesting turtles. This includes measuring turtles, counting eggs, and marking nests. The presence of tagging teams on the beach also acts as a strong deterrent to poachers and egg collectors.
Morning nest surveys
Walk the beach in the morning to check the status of nests marked during previous night patrols. Look for signs of poaching & predation and keep an eye out for hatchling tracks!
Assist with a voluntary beach clean-up along the gorgeous black sand beaches.
Travel & Lodging
All in-country travel is included in the trip cost including pick-up and drop off at the SJO Airport. All travel in and out of San Jose will be by tourism van with the entire group and is covered in trip cost.
We will be staying at Mawamba Lodge which is about a ten minute walk from the STC Research station. All solo-travelers will be paired up (two occupants per room). You may request a specific roommate during the booking process, or for an additional fee you can have a private room.
Why Costa Rica?
Costa Rica is one of the most bio-diverse countries on Earth and their government has a strong environmental ethos tied into their liberal democracy.
This trip will be led by cinder + salt's owner and creative director Rachel DeCavage. Rachel has visited Costa Rica multiple times and is in love with the country. "Costa Rica perfectly embodies the spirit of eco-optimism that I aim to project through my brand, and transports us to a pristine & wild world full of robust nature & awe-inspiring vistas."
This trip is arranged through Holbrook Travel - Booking will begin in August 2023. To learn more about the trip, or secure your spot, click here.
Trip cost is $2595* per person and does not include airfare.
Required $500 deposit to confirm your booking. Balance of $2095 due by June 4, 2024. Cancellation available until May 27, 2024 with $300 cancellation fee. No refunds if cancelled after May 27.
Trip Itinerary & info packet coming soon
Download Costa Rica Travel Resources